General & Family Dentistry
As our name suggests, we provide dental services beyond the field of cosmetic dentistry. Dr. Diane Pham and the entire team at Capital Esthetics & Family Dentistry are pleased to provide dental care for the entire family. We offer a broad range of treatments to help the adults, teens, and children in your family to prevent potential problems, treat current dental issues, and maintain your oral health.
General and family dentistry really focuses on preventative dentistry and includes:
General and family dentistry encompasses a number of dental treatments aimed at helping you to improve and maintain your oral health. Our comprehensive dental care ranges from simple dental checkups and cleanings for your child to skilled root canals for you. We're here to care for your family’s smiles.
It's important for us to monitor your oral health consistently; making sure that it's good or improving. We encourage patients to visit our dental studio at least once every six months for a regular checkup. Your visits may be more frequent if your individual dental needs require it. In your routine appointments with us, you can expect a thorough cleaning and exam of your entire mouth. Prevention is key, and when that's no longer a possibility, that's when early detection becomes important.
If you start to notice dental pain, accidentally damaged your tooth, or if you're experiencing a dental emergency, we urge you to contact us as soon as possible so we can assess the issue. It may be that you require restorative dental care. We will do everything we can to fit you in. Comprehensive dental care means that you can benefit from a wide variety services, treatments, and procedures right here in our office. It's convenient, and can help to relieve anxiety in an already stressful situation. We're here for you as your general dentist, your cosmetic dentist, and your emergency dental team, too!
General & Family Dental Care
We are strong advocates of preventative care at Capital Esthetics & Family Dentistry. It is far less painful, inconvenient, and expensive to prevent tooth damage, decay, and gum disease than to treat it.
The purpose of preventative care is to proactively protect your teeth, gums, and mouth from issues before issues can take root. Regular checkups with the dentist for cleanings and exams are just as important as practicing good dental hygiene at home. We empower our patients to take an active interest and role in caring for their oral hygiene, and we offer support through professional guidance.
During checkups at our Vienna dental studio, there are a number of preventive services we can provide, including dental sealants and dental cleanings. And at home, there are several steps you can take to prevent cavities and tooth decay on your own. We'll work together as a team to keep your mouth healthy.
Here are some general guidelines for preventing cavities:
- Brush and floss your teeth every day. Brush at least twice a day and floss at least once a day. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to preserve your gums and enamel, and choose fluoridated toothpaste to help strengthen your teeth. Stronger enamel is a stronger protection against tooth decay.
- Maintain a balanced, healthy diet with a limited amount of very sugary or acidic foods.
- Visit us for a routine teeth cleaning and dental exam at least twice a year. Typically patients will schedule their appointments six months apart.
- Talk to your dentist about whether you can benefit from dental sealants and fluoride treatments.
Dental Cleanings & Exams
Regular dental cleanings and exams are the most basic of preventative treatments we offer at Capital Esthetics, and perhaps the most important. Those checkups are opportunities for Dr. Pham to detect and treat early signs of damage before they become more extensive and painful. Coming in every six months will allow us to properly monitor your oral health.
Each time you visit our Vienna dental practice for a checkup, we will provide you with a professional teeth cleaning and dental exam to make sure your mouth is in good health. During your teeth cleaning and exam, our dental team will carefully:
- Remove plaque or tartar buildup on your teeth. This dental calculus, if left untreated, often leads to tooth decay and periodontal disease, also known as gum disease.
- Floss and polish your teeth.
- Examine your smile for early signs of dental damage or diseases.
Prevention is incredibly important, but if an issue arises, early detection can give our team the advantage when treating it. We want to catch any signs of cavities, tooth decay or gum disease as early as possible to minimize further damage. That is why regular visits are particularly important—without thorough cleanings and careful examinations, you are at greater risk for experiencing more serious oral health issues.
While six months is the standard, we will suggest more frequent visits as needed. And if you think you may be suffering from a dental emergency due to acute pain or injury, we encourage you to contact us immediately rather than waiting until your next routine checkup with us.
The most important way you can get involved in maintaining a healthy smile is by practicing good oral hygiene in your own home. You eat and drink multiple times a day and use your mouth to breathe and communicate⸺sugar, acid, bacteria, staining agents, wear and tear all work down your enamel and natural protection from decay and disease. That is where good oral hygiene can make the difference in between your six-month checkups.
When you visit us for your routine checkup at Capital Esthetics & Family Dentistry, our dentist and dental hygienist will learn more about your dental hygiene routine and then make recommendations that can help you to improve your at-home dental care. You will find consistency to be an important theme in maintaining a healthy smile.
Good dental hygiene involves a number of daily habits and practices. It may be overwhelming to keep up if these are not already incorporated into your daily routines; but with a little time and dedication, these can truly become simple habits for you that have major impact on your oral and overall health. Our dentist recommends that you practice the following:
- Brush your teeth after each meal or at least twice each day. We encourage you to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a toothpaste that includes fluoride to protect and strengthen your enamel.
- Floss at least once every day. The most important time to floss is just before you go to sleep at night.
- Eat a balanced diet. Limiting your intake of very sugary and acidic foods can help to prevent tooth decay.
- Maintain your regular visits to the dentist every six months. During these visits, we will provide a professional teeth cleaning and a thorough dental exam to make certain we provide any needed preventive or restorative treatments.
During your semi-annual appointments, please let us know if there any additional steps we can take to help you maintain your best dental hygiene. We invite open dialogue about your oral health and are more than happy to answer all of your questions about it! Oral health education is the foundation of preventative dentistry.